Sauted Winter Greens
1 large bunch greens:kale or chard or spinach or a mixture
4 or 5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
1/3 cup of one of the following :dried fig, raisins, dried cherries, sun-dried tomatoes
1/4 cup of one of the following: pinion nuts, pecans, walnuts
1. Wash greens well and chop roughly. Set aside in a collander to drain.
2. If using sun-dried tomatoes, pour enough boiling water over them to cover them and let sit 10 minutes or until soft and drain.
3. Toast nuts in oven 10 minutes. A toaster oven will save energy, or toast nuts while the oven is on for other baking. They can be toasted ahead if time and kept in an air tight container.
4. In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil or melt butter.
5. Add garlic and mushrooms and saute 2 minutes.
6. Add greens, dried fruit or re-constituted tomatoes, and nuts. Stir and cover to steam.
7. Cook, stirring occasionally, until greens are bright, dark green and tender, and heated through, about 5 minutes.
This dish goes well with roasted chicken and sweet potatoes or butternut squash and serves 8.